The school's history PDF Print E-mail
The school's history
Moniuszko State Music School celebrated its 55th anniversary in 2000.
1. In March 1945 J.Lewiński established a private music school called The Music Institute,whose name referred to the activities of the pre-war branch of the Katowice Music Institute.
2. In 1946 it was renamed as The private Primary and Secondary Music School.
3. From 1945 to 1948 the school conducted a wide range of educational and artistic activities.Around 1950 it employed 19 teachers and had nearly 300 students. The teaching staff included: G. Wentruba, W.Koterbski, Z. Martynowicz, etc. It was located in Dądrowskiego street.
4. In 1950,by the order of the Minister of Culture, it was nationalised and named The State Music School in Bielsko-Biała.
5. In September 1950, as part of an experiment, music education was combined with general education in selected Polish schools. The Bielsko-Biała Music School was also included in this experiment, and as aresult, The State Primary and Secondary Music School was established.At the same time the school management changed.In September 1950 T. Głodziński became the head of The Secondary Music School. A year later he resigned from his position and was replaced by 28th J. Dziewulska and subsequently by H. Bezegowa.
6. In October 1951 the school building in Schodowa street received a lease from The Assembly of Notre Dame Sisters. The opening ceremony took place on October 28th and was combined with the naming ceremony.The school was named M. Karłowicz Music School.
7. Frequent management changes and a high degree of staff turnover resulted in a decline in the school's activities. However, appointing J. Dunikowski as headmaster prevented its closure. Thanks to that experienced teacher and artist the number of the students doubled and numerous candidates from other regions of our country applied for admission. The headmaster was supported by a group of eminent teachers including P. Maszczyk, B. Nancka, F. Niedziela, etc.
In those years some organisational changes took place:
-The School Symphony Orchestra conducted by H. Drozd was extended
-The School Mixed Choir conducted by A.  Poćwierz was created
-The School Brass Band led by W. Skawina was created
-The Chamber Ensemble led by F.Niedziela was created
8. The students' achievements in different kinds of competitions demonstrated very high teaching standards.
9. The secondary Music School in Bielsko-Biała began cooperation with The Echo Choir in Czechowice, which resulted in a joint performance of "Crimean Sonnets" by S. Moniuszko.
10. In September 1966, by the order of The Minister of Culture and Art, The State Primary and Secondary School were merged into one school (12 years of education). That change was followed by a change in management - K. Duda became its headmaster.
11. The new headmaster showed a lot of initiative in managing the school. He established the percussion class and equipped it with the necessary instruments. Since strengthening cooperation with the local community was his priority, he set up The Bielsko-Biała Music Centre and its branches in nearby towns such as Szczyrk, Mazańcowice, etc. He was also in charge of The Jazz Quartet, in which A. Zubek, K. Jonkisz, K. Suchanek and other well-known musicians made their debut. In his time the students gave more and more concerts for the local community.
12. In 1977 The Bielsko-Biała Symphony Orchestra attached to The State Music School and conducted by T. Kocyba started its activity.
13. In 1980 the first independent and self-governing Trade Union, chaired by D. KoczyPuchała,
was created.Since 1981 R.Sanak has been holding the position of its chairperson.
14. In 1982 K.Duda resigned from his post and A. Kucybała was appointed as headmaster. He made
every effort to extend the range of the school's artistic activity and to improve its material conditions. He regularly bought new instruments.Thanks to his endeavour,the rhythmics section was established and the activity of The School Symphony Orchestra was extended. To ensure better conditions for the teachers and students, he took steps to secure a new school building at M.Luther Square,leased from The Evangelical Church, which was renovated and modernised. The new conditions enabled the students to achieve better learning and artistic results as well as get many awards in various competitions and auditions.